Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When is good enough, either, good or enough?


Lent 2012 A Clean Heart, Create in Me          C.S.Lewis
Tuesday, March13,                          Psalm 25:9

What are your intentions?  As you begin(or continue) your journey do you reach a point where you say, “ok we can stop here because I am and the situation is, and the world is “good enough?””  If you are a gifted athlete or musician or artist is there a point when your product is “good enough?” I struggle with this because I have confused my best with the best and therefore always diminish what has been achieved.  I don’t think an Olympic athlete has the phrase good enough in their vocabulary.  Yet there is a limit a threshold to any endeavor.  Do we settle for good enough when it comes to God because we do not believe that our best is enough?  Are we fearful of what thresholds we may breach on our journey with God? There is a famous quote that has been attributed to many people including: Nelson Mandela, but the author of the words below are actually from Marianne Williamson. 

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. You’re playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

So as we start(or choose to continue) to follow God, what are our intentions?  Are we willing to shine regardless of the cost?  Will we allow fear to convince us that we should settle for that which may or may not be good and that which may or may not be enough, because we feel safer in the good enough?  Lord, show me what you’d like me to become and paint the picture clearly so it will not be warped.  Show me the journey you would have me trek along and assure me that you will guide each step.  Let my heart be filled with the knowledge that, If my God is for me, who can be against me?  Help me never settle for good when I am being offered the best from God.

No comments: