Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Oh How the Mighty Have Fallen

Lent 2012     A Clean Heart, Create in Me   C.S.Lewis
Tuesday March 6                                            Matthew 23:11-12

This devotion at first seems to skip the issue of pride.  I was expecting those mighty to be struck down so I could humbly dance.  And then C.S.Lewis drops this bomb: "God wants you to know God's very nature: God wants to give his very self to us."  Pride and humility is not about our position in the world but our right relationship with God.  A right relationship with God  may mean that we sacrifice dignity. According to 1 Corinthians 3:19:" For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, "He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness."  A right relationship with God is a relief from the need and stress of achieving success in the world's system.  Humility is putting the needs of God's will and God's people before our own.  What I thought was Lewis missing the mark was actually him hitting the bull's eye with brevity.  Lord, help me change my focus so that I am not filled with pride but with a healthy respect for you.  Each day help me move closer to a right relationship with you.

No comments: