Monday, June 11, 2012

Job Description


Holy Spirit Series
Forgotten God                                Francis Chan
The God I Never Knew                    Robert Morris
Commentary                                  Jodi Haier

Forgotten God pp. 74-76

“The Counselor teaches and reminds us of what we need to know and remember.   She is our comforter, our advisor, our encourager, and our strength. She guides us in the way we should go.” (yes I changed the He to She)

Wow let me get this straight.
Job Title: Great Counselor
Job Description: Comfort us in all our struggles.  Advise us to hang on to God amongst all our storms and dramas, Encourage us in meaningful ways that go beyond being a cheerleader.   The Counselor is to be our strength not just when we get to the end of our strength but always.  No days off, no hours off, for all eternity.

Scripture References:  Psalms 143:7-10, John 14-16; Acts 9:31, Acts 13:2, Acts 15:28, 1 Corinthians 2:9-10; 1 John 5: 6-8

Psalm 143: 7-10 (Message)
Hurry with your answer, God! I'm nearly at the end of my rope. Don't turn away; don't ignore me! That would be certain death.
   If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice, I'll go to sleep each night trusting in you.
   Point out the road I must travel; I'm all ears, all eyes before you.
   Save me from my enemies, God— you're my only hope!
   Teach me how to live to please you, because you're my God.
   Lead me by your blessed Spirit into cleared and level pastureland.

If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice… Isn’t that encouragement?  Isn’t that Comforting?
Point out the road I must travel  Isn’t that asking for critical advise from someone you trust and know you can rely upon. 
Save me from my enemies The role of a counselor to help us realize the resources we have to fight our enemies. 
You’re my only hope! Once again a call for encouragement.
Teach me how to live to please you.  Oops something I left out from the Job Description, life coach; teaching us how to live in the light of God.
Lead me She guides us in the ways we should go.

In one scripture we get this kaleidoscope of understanding of the role of the Holy Spirit.  What more can the Scriptures add?  Please let me know what else needs to be added to the Job Description from the scriptures listed.  

No comments: